Founded in 1988, my client is a counselling and therapeutic support charity. They specialise in supporting children and young people aged 5 – 25 years, their families and the professionals who work with them across Essex, Hertfordshire and Greater London.
Their overall aim is to support children, young people and their families through challenging times so that they can feel hopeful about their futures.
The purpose of this role is to support the sustainability of the organisation by achieving increased income through the submission of grant applications and tenders and through developing new areas of business to achieve additional income. The post is expected to become self-funding within eighteen months.
This role is for someone who is keen to build and develop their career in business development, fundraising and working to deliver exciting and innovative partnerships.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Increase the income being derived through grant applications, tender submissions and work streams, and support the delivery of new work.
- Develop new business opportunities and create new income streams with the public, private and voluntary sectors
- Network, liaise and build relationships with appropriate groups and individuals, seek opportunities for the delivery of joint contracts with other agencies and pursue opportunities created by the CEO.
- Create and write up Business Cases for new pieces of work
- Create strong links with the commercial sector in pursuit of sponsorship, capital donations and opportunities offered through CSR as well as other local opportunities for financial support.
- Where opportunities arise access pro bono support and generate gifts in kind and legacy-giving.
- Contribute to the effective communication, profile-raising and marketing of the organisation.
- Work within the agreed management structure of the organisation, follow the organisation’s ethos and charitable aims and work within it’s policies and procedures.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties requested by the CEO or the Board.
- Experience of working in or with the commercial sector.
- Proven ability to effectively network across a wide range of relevant groups and individuals
- Ability to write robust business cases
- Ability to clearly elucidate potential opportunities of delivery of new work-streams to potential new customers, staff and Board
- Ability to work up plans for new work-streams
- Proven ability to use appropriate software to price up, monitor and report on all work
- Ability to build successful income-generating relationships with commercial contacts across different seniority levels
- Ability to submit grant applications and tender responses
- Ability to prepare and deliver compelling presentations in support of fundraising, business generation and service information
- Ability to maximise revenue through successful negotiation, managing budgets and delivering income against challenging targets and timescales
- Excellent interpersonal, listening and reporting skills with the capability to engage and win people over and to convey ideas succinctly and persuasively
- Ability to quickly develop an understanding of the organisation, its charitable aims the requirements of this post and the wider Third Sector
- Ability to quickly develop an understanding of the needs and requirements of potential customers and service users
- Proficient in the use of ITC technology
- A willingness to work flexibly within the demands of the role
- Ability to be highly self-motivating and able to work independently
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Access to own transport for travel as appropriate to the needs of the role
- Experience of working previously in a similar role to this one
- Experience of generating joint work with other organisations/companies
- An understanding of Corporate Social Responsibility along with an awareness of charity and trading law.
- Experience of effective marketing and communications
- Understanding and/or experience of Social Investment.
- Ability to effectively use social media
- Experience of overseeing and supporting joint projects